Ripple just released their Q4 2018 XRP Markets Report.
- Institutional sales dropped by 59%.
- Programmatic sales increased by 36%.
- Total sales dropped by 21%.
- XRP volume increase by 44% compared to Q3 2018.
- The percentage of Ripple XRP sales compared to the total volume almost halved.
- Three 1 billion XRP escrows ended in Q4, of which 2.4 billion was put into new escrow accounts.
- Escrows created end in the first half of 2023.
- Ripple modestly states that 30 exchanges added XRP in Q4 2018.
- In reality, at least 51exchanges added XRP in Q4 2018, totaling 36 new fiat pairs and 161 new Crypto pairs. You can view them all in this blog post.
- Moreover, at least 267 offer XRP trading. You can view all the (known) XRP markets and exchanges here.
- Everyone expected an increase in institutional sales, thus the drop is slightly dissapointing.
- The increase of the XRP total volume in Q4 along with the drop of the % of Ripple sales compared to the total volume is however encouraging.
- This is especially positive since there might be an inverse relationship between the rate of increase of XRP circulating supply and price. However, in order to confirm this inverse relationship, more analysis is required.
- Another reason everyone expected this report was the launch of xRapid at the beginning of Q4. The XRP community has been looking for clues on how much volume goes through xRapid and this report was expected to provide this. Perhaps Ripple will provide us with some statistics when the time is right.
- The increase of exchanges offering XRP trading is also positive and expected to continue.